Friday, November 13, 2009

Friday the 13th, Lucky for me how about you?

Oh the elusive Friday the 13th is upon us!

I googled "why is Friday the 13th considered unlucky?". Many articles popped up about 116,000 it said. So I read a few as to why so many people have come to believe it is an unlucky day or date. However I was surprised in most of them that right off they state that many believe it to be a very lucky day too especially the Chinese. I fall into that category, not the Chinese the believe it‘s lucky just incase you might have been confused. : ) I've always had a great day when it was Ft13th. Especially when it falls the day after my bday.

So as I read on it seemed to be that there is no "proof" scientific or otherwise to prove why this day is considered so evil. There is always one a year and as many as three. One site had a whole table as to when and how they figure it out and how it happens in the leap year and WOW way to much to absorb at 8 am with kids running all over and no caffeine yet. “Oh coffee where are you…”

Next there are those that are Paraskevidekatriaphobics — people afflicted with a morbid, irrational fear of Ft13th — who have either positively or negatively effected the studies and research they have done. No one can actually pinpoint a determination as to when the fear started either. They have several theories as to when and how it evolved but no exact date or even year. However there are times where they can point out reason’s why people have become so afraid.

On one site they stated that the British Medical Journal’s study of Ft13th on your health was that less people were on the road yet more people were seriously injured if they were in an accident. So their conclusion was, "Friday 13th is unlucky for some. The risk of hospital admission as a result of a transport accident may be increased by as much as 52 percent. Staying at home is recommended."

WHAT?! Stay home, that’s not going to happen here. I have so much crap to do I can’t afford to let that get in my way. For example today I have a list of at least 4 places I have to go to in town. That’s a 20 minute drive there then all over town and the 20 minute drive back. If I let that get in my way I’d be so far behind come Monday. Now if you’re a mom being behind is no fun at all. It’s bad enough to try and figure it out to schedule everything in one day. There is the loading the kids, unloading the kids, buckling seatbelts 400 times, pee breaks every ten minutes. Heaven forbid you go into a store that they like stuff then it’s the “I want” “I need” “PUUHHHLLLEEEEZZZEEEE!!” Followed by the pouts and tears when you say no. Or the haven’t had a nap, got up early, you’ve dragged me around town, it’s now 4 pm, full blown tantrum that gets you the evil looks and whispers as you grab them drop everything else and head to the bathroom if you think you can save it but most likely the car. So now you didn’t get that task done, got to reschedule. The list is never-ending. So in a few we will set off to town to see if my Ft13th will stay lucky/good day for me or if the girls will prove me wrong and make it one of those days where everyone gives us those looks and when I get home I’m now laying on the floor with all my hair pulled out drooling incoherent and twitching…







My favorite site I read this morning on Ft13th

1 comment:

Helene said...

I've honestly never had a BAD Friday the 13th so I guess I'm in the same camp you are. I can't believe there's actually a phobia of that specific day...wow!

Related Posts with Thumbnails